The National Physical Laboratory (NPL) is the national measurement standards laboratory for the United Kingdom, based at Bushy Park in Teddington, England. It is the largest applied physics organisation in the UK.
GlobalCAD was commissioned to develop detailed point cloud to 3D model BIM deliverables for the entire NPL site. We also developed an asset register system for Facilities Management (FM) using the Kier BIMXtra platform.
What we did
Our extensive works on the NPL project included:
- Modelling underground services, applying asset information to all key
- Surveying buildings site-wide, including their architecture, structure and MEP
- Identifying all building services components (including the sourcing and
creation of Revit families) and updating their asset information for
import into the Kier BIM platform, known as BIMXtra.
- GlobalCAD was also responsible for validating this vital data to ensure NPL
have a detailed and accurate asset database for Facilities
- Laser measurements and a photo survey were undertaken in each instance.
The ‘heat map’ image above, generated following a Point Cloud survey of the entire site by a third party, shows how GlobalCAD was able to overlay its BIM models with the cloud survey data to ensure absolute accuracy and in accordance with GPS coordinates.